Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Week Four

3:15 PM Saturday April 19
Partly Sunny 56 degrees
Magnuson Park

The biggest change I noticed this week was how quiet it was. I usually hear and see a lot of birds, but today the only birds I saw where a few canadian geese flying overhead. This could be because the other days I have visited my site it was much sunnier and warmer. However, I did hear the red winged blackbird but did not see it. In addition, I also felt as if the water was clearer today. Perhaps the lack of sun resulted in fewer algae.
General view of my observation spot. Really peaceful and quiet today. 
I also noticed the pacific willow catkins are getting "fuzzy". I am not sure if this is how they will spread their pollen/ seeds, but that is my guess for why this is happening. There has not been a lot of change in the scouler willows. Also, at this point I am uncertain if any of the willows are hybrids of the two species or not. They are all growing so close to each other right by the water, so I feel as if I could have a few hybrid willows, as we talked about in class, it is somewhat common for that to happen.
Fuzzy catkins!
I also noticed a plant growing in the water I had not noticed before. I think it could possibly be common plantain after looking in my field guide, but I'm still uncertain. I also thought it sort of resembled skunk cabbage, but I think it has slightly different leaves.
Unknown plant I noticed. 
Additionally, the tall oregon grape I found at my site has lost all of its flowers. This is probably in preparation for getting berries later in the summer. I also explored a different part of Magnuson than I have before and I found a plant with longer skinnier leaves, but the leaves were completely red. I did not find a plant that matched the description in the field guide.
Unknown red-leafed plant. 
I also noticed I have twin berry at my site. After walking through UBNA and Ravenna, it has been much easier for me to keep identifying species at my site. I also found another interesting plant with fuzzy blooms on it, I am still not certain about what it is. This is the first time I have noticed this fuzzy plant.
Twin berry.
Unidentified plant. 

One last thing I wanted to share was that I met a group of four kids (elementary school age) who were very interested in what I was doing. I talked to them for awhile and taught them the names of some of the plants around my site. I also showed them my field guide, and they were so excited! I think its really great when kids are excited about nature, and it was really fun to share my love of nature with them. Maybe I met some future naturalists!


No comments:

Post a Comment