Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Week Two


3:30 PM Monday April 14
Mostly sunny, 65 degrees
Magnuson Park

There are not many changes to note about my site this week. I did notice that more horsetails are growing along the water's edge this week. I also noticed bumble bees this week, when last week it was more flies and what I thought could have possibly been a smaller type of bee. In addition to that, the tree/shrub directly next to me seemed to be much fuller, and the tube-like bristles protruding were much more spikey in appearance. In addition to that, I noticed the yellow-flowering plant, which I believe is tall oregon grape I saw last week has even more blooms on it, and a nearby plant without blooms had red on its leaves. I also saw many more birds up close today. The one I saw last week with the high-pitched shrieking call was back again, but when I saw it up close, the patches on it's wings appeared more yellow-orange. I do believe it was the same species of bird, however, because I recognized the call it made.I also saw ducks that were black and white which I believe to be buffleheads. Unfortunately I was never able to capture a very good photo. These waterfowl would dive under the water for lengthy periods of time! In addition to those, I believe the other ducks I saw today were mallards but the heads seemed to be more blue to me, so it might be something else. I'm hoping I will see even more of the birds I am hearing in the following weeks!
General view of my observation spot this week.

The leaves of the tall oregon grape that were changing.

One of the types of ducks I saw with a distinctly blue head.

The bird with the distinct call and patch/stripe on its wing. 
I was also able to closely examine a few species through drawing them. Its really helpful in discovering the intricate details of the plants at my site! Here are my drawings:

No comments:

Post a Comment